If you’re in the market for a new roof, you are probably familiar with the two basic options: metal or shingle.
What’s the difference? Which is cheaper? What type of roofing should you get?
If you’re debating between installing a metal roof and asphalt shingle roofing, we have the information you need to make an informed decision.
Here’s our comprehensive metal roof vs. shingles roof comparison to keep you in the know.
What Are Metal Roofs?
Metal roofing systems are some of the most durable, long-lasting, and energy-efficient roofs. They have several advantages over traditional materials like asphalt shingles and slate.
Metal roofing panels can consist of either steel or aluminum. Steel is more common in commercial settings, while aluminum is prevalent in residential construction.
Both materials offer an array of color choices and finishes that are customizable to fit any design aesthetic.
Are there any benefits of metal roofing when making a metal roof vs. shingles roof comparison? First, a metal roof offers protection from rain, snow, wind, and sun damage. It also helps prevent heat loss through your attic during cold winters.
What Are Asphalt Shingle Roofs?
When considering metal roof or shingles roof installations, why choose asphalt shingle roofs?
Shingle roofs are a popular choice for homes, and for a good reason. These roofs (also known as “built-up” or “jointless” roofs) offer many benefits, including high aesthetic appeal, durability, and low maintenance.
They consist of three layers:
- Underlayment: This layer consists of felt paper or fiberglass insulation that protects the roof decking from moisture damage. It lays directly on top of the roof decking.
- Decking: This layer supports other materials (shingles, tar paper, etc.). It can be plywood, wood boards, or metal sheets (metal shingles/sheets are typical on commercial buildings).
- Shingles/tar paper: These give the roof its color and style, and they’re what most people think of when they imagine an asphalt shingle roof.
Asphalt shingle roofs typically last 20 years or more before needing replacement. They are also easy and quick to install as they require minimal roof preparation, saving you time and money.
How Does a Metal Roof and a Shingle Roof Compare?
Metal roofs and shingle roofs are two of the most common types of roofing materials for homes.
When it comes to durability, cost, and maintenance regarding metal roof vs. shingle roof comparisons, each type offers various pros and cons.
Pros of Metal Roofs
Nearly every type of metal roof offers the following advantages:
- Metal roofs can last up to 50 years and are better at keeping out rain and snow than shingles.
- They can consist of recycled materials, so they’re better for the environment.
- Metal roofs are more durable and easier to maintain than shingles, so you can expect fewer repairs over time.
Pros of Asphalt Shingle Roofs
However, asphalt roofs also have advantages over metal roofs:
- They’re less expensive than metal roofs
- They’re easier to install than metal roofs.
- You can get them in different colors; this offers excellent curb appeal as the shingles can blend into your home’s design better than metal roofs.
Which Is Cheaper: Metal or Asphalt Shingle Roofs?
When it comes to which option has the lowest overall cost, asphalt shingles win the argument.
The average cost of roof installation for a 1,000-square-foot roof with asphalt shingles is approximately $6,500 (including roofing materials and labor).
In contrast, metal roof installation costs vary widely, but the average installation cost is approximately $11,500 for a 1,000-square-foot home. This cost depends on the type of metal you use (aluminum or steel), the roof design, and the labor required.
Let the Experts Help with Your New Roof Installation
We hope this comparison of metal roofs vs. shingles roofs has given you some insight into the type of roofing that is right for your home.
If you’re ready to move forward with a new roof installation, the roofing experts at AWS Roofing have over 30 years of experience helping homeowners in Metro Orlando, Palm Coast, Edgewater, FL, and the surrounding areas install or replace their roofing.
Our experts are happy to take a look at your home and give you an estimate for a roof replacement. We use only the finest roofing shingles or metal panels for all installations, including GAF, Owens Corning, PAC-Clad, Millennium Metals, POLY-GLASS, and Certainteed.
Whether you know exactly what you want or aren’t sure where to start, our roofing experts at AWS Roofing are happy to help. Call our team at (386) 210-9673 for a free metal roof or shingles roof estimate.